March 10, 2022

Inner Pondering & Page Turning

 It's been a while. 

Three years to be exact. 

When I started this blog, Simply Books, I wanted to create a space where I could unapologetically gush about books, my love of reading, words and more. Unfortunately, due to this thing called 'adulting', I got a little distracted.

I have still been reading, lots! In fact, I even started a digital magazine with a friend because we both love reading and realized that there was not any quality, relatable content out there that one could devour. This project unfortunately only produced one issue and it was really in part to my friend and creative partner. There were a few things wrong with this project:

  1. Don't get romantically involved with anyone. It ruins your mental state.
  2. Don't start heavy projects like launching a digital magazine when you have a FT job.
  3. Be ready to truly focus on the hobby/project even if you have said FT job.
  4. If you can't stand digital books, don't start a digital magazine - you have to believe in what you're doing.
  5. Don't overcommit yourself - you'll risk your friendship and your sanity.

Safe to say, I learned a lot during that "phase" as I now refer to it. 

Other than the digital magazine project, romantic hiccups, family drama and a few job changes, there's also been this pandemic. It has been a ride. But along the way, and throughout these past years, books have continued to provide me with an escape and comfort. I guess you could say that books are my drug of choice. Along with a healthy bottle of red. My name is Leila and I'm a bookaholic. 

I'm now living in Hamilton, ON and while I always had this plan in the back of my head, I certainly didn't think it would have happened like this. (During the lag of a global pandemic, loss of a job and family troubles) - but somehow it's all working out. (Thanks and a big shout out to the close friends that I have!) 

Coming back to this blog was a fluke. I rarely use my Gmail account and when I rewatched Julie & Julia one quiet Saturday afternoon it reminded me of my brief but fun blogging days behind Simply Books. I logged into my computer and there she was. My blog.

So here I am. Writing to everyone and no one at the same time. Reading books, living out of a suitcase (several actually) until I move into my new apartment at the end of March and while it's been a crazy period of time, my books have travelled with me and kept me company along the way. They always have if I'm being honest. No matter what was going on at home, at school or with friends or work, books and reading has allowed me to find belonging and purpose tucked between the pages. From fictional worlds to Oprah's book club selections, I have found my church, my therapy and my sanctuary in books. 

I'm glad to be typing this blog post while a stack of books sits in front of me. I'm glad that my enjoyment can be shared here on the world wide web and should someone come along and find this blog, perhaps we can share a line or two about our favourite books or a shared love of escapism. Until then, I will write this blog for me, myself and I... As long as I remember to keep posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment